I have two dreams, one is to be a published author and the other is being a great public speaker and be invited to speak at TED. Scott Berkun is a living example of my dream.
Who is Scott Berkun?
In this video he is discussing how to speak at an Ignite event, but his advice works great for writing blog posts as well as speaking anywhere.
What is Ignite?
Ignite is a style of presentation where participants are given five minutes to speak on a subject accompanied by 20 slides. Each slide is displayed for 15 seconds, and slides are automatically advanced. Ignite events happen everywhere, so their may be one going on in your town, or you can be the creator of one.
We are lucky living here in Sonoma County since O’Reilly is located here, and Ignite events happen in Sebastopol and Petaluma on a regular basis.
But back to Scott Berkun, in this video he gives the following advice –
1. Storytelling is everything.
2. Tell what you love, what gets you excited, what gets you up in the morning.
3. Tell what you hate, what you would remove from the world. If you flip what you hate (look for the opposite), you will find something you love.
4. Tell what you are good at, what you have experience in – you have great insight her and you can share it, which makes for a powerful story.
5. Keep it tight and to the point.
His advice can be used for writing for the public too. Bloggers often forget to write with the reader in mind and these rules can help make you a better writer.
You can connect with Scot B @ his blog @ his website – www.scottberkun.com/blog
What are your stories? How do you share them?
Keep on dreaming –