BE A SUCCESSFUL PUBLIC SPEAKER
Last updated on January 18, 2015
“I’m a motivational speaker, comedian, and author, which means I tell you that you can do anything. Then I tell you I’m just kidding.”
As you might guess, I’m an avid dreamer. I always have been – it just took a while for me to give them life and have the courage and permission to go after them.
For me, dreaming is not so much the issue – it’s following through. When you have new ideas every day, it can get overwhelming trying to stay focused enough to bring one to reality.
And it’s really cool that you are with me on this journey – because that means we’ll learn together. And laugh together.
One thing you will quickly learn about me is that I don’t have a very good filter between what I think and what pops out of my mouth. I tend to say things that other people won’t say – admit things about myself you would probably leave private – and speak before thinking.
I’m okay with that.
Good comedy shouldn’t be censored. And neither should our dreams. You can’t get to the good stuff, until you are willing to take off the face and get real. And so that’s me – putting it all out there for the world to see. Admitting my faults and my quirks – in the hopes that yours won’t seem so bad – in the hopes that you won’t let something like body image, or low self-esteem, keep you from going after the life you want.
I got tired of believing the lie that I wasn’t good enough, smart enough, talented enough, rich enough…..Finally I looked in the mirror and said, “I am enough.”
Don’t worry. You’ll get there. It’s a step-by-step thing, not a one-giant-leap thing.
I’ve got a lot of opinions and I’m usually convinced I’m right. And then the next day something makes me change my mind and rethink where I stood yesterday.
I have firm beliefs and convictions, but want to live in a constant state of being willing – willing to listen – willing to see another perspective – willing to move out of the way and make room for you.
Because there is enough room for all of us to reach our dreams. And it’s so much cooler and easier when we do it together. It’s not a competition or a race. This is a journey of intersecting lines. And today, I’m glad our lines intersected. I hope they do again.
I make my living on stages – from tiny little churches in the middle of corn fields – to big convention halls – to cruise ships – to corporate board rooms. It is exciting to see where this dream is going, and all the turns that it has taken.
I didn’t take the path of most motivational speakers, so I didn’t imagine much of what is coming my way – but I believe that sometimes you just have to close your eyes and jump. You visualize your dream, act on it, and then just trust the cape.
I love storytelling, and I love telling the stories of people I meet, or people I imagine. And I LOVE helping you find your story and share it with the world.
When I perform my shows, I never go alone – I bring with me a wacky cast of characters who live in Prides Hollow – my tiny little town about a mile and a hair past nowhere. From Bitsy parading through town in her bikini, to Crazy Man Harry who sits on the corner of Rte. 29, they are never at a loss for something to say.
They’ll make you laugh, and sometimes they will pull on your heart. I take you to Prides Hollow to help you see, believe, and do your way to a happily ever after. And then I encourage you to go find your own Prides Hollow.
People think I’m lucky for having so many of my dreams come true. But luck has very little to do with it. I have worked my butt off to get here. This apparently isn’t hard enough, since last time I checked, there was still a good bit of junk in my trunk.
But the point is that I worked for it. Hard.
I listened to what my mentors told me to do, and I did it. Over and over and over. This didn’t happen in one giant step, it took a lot of tiny steps.
This journey has been filled with dips and valleys, triumphs and tears, twists and turns, fears and anxieties and failures. But good things don’t come to those who wait for them to be delivered.
They come to those who want it bad enough, and go after it. So if you’re in, I’m in. Let’s stay in this race.
My dream story post day is Friday.
But the very best is when you can bring me in to speak to your group – or attend one of my shows. How fun is that!
If you want to find out when I’m in your area, just get on my website and hit the “Track Kelly” button to sign up. You’ll get emails when I’m in your area. Other than that – I’ll see you right here, every Friday!
DREAMS ACCOMPLISHED TO DATE: Award-Winning Storyteller, Comedian, Motivational Speaker, Author of “Who Hijacked My Fairy Tale?” and “Land of If Only”, and several other CDs/DVDs. Performed at the National Storytelling Festival. Was a featured performer for Holland America Cruise Lines. Booked 80 gigs last year. Launched the first Prides Hollow show with concert pianist – we bombed – but we conquered our fear and we did it, and that’s a dream in itself. Next time we won’t bomb. Finally perfected these hair extensions so that I can travel without them falling out in the airport. Kept my 8-year-old son fairly healthy, despite the fact that I just now found out we were supposed to be flossing his teeth. Hit a new record on airport pat downs – thanks to metal clips in hair extensions. There are a lot of security guards out there who now owe me dinner. I’m just saying.
See ‘ya on the funny side!
You can email me at pr(at)8womendream.com with your thoughts.
Here is a collection of some of my dream stories on 8 Women Dream –
- Six Truths To Help You Say No Stressed? Overworked? Burned Out? Tired of Saying Yes to EVERYBODY? Being Pulled in Too Many Directions? Yeah. Me too. Most of us (especially women) feel this way most of the time. “Busy” is one of the most dangerous four-letter words of our day. We carry that word like a badge of honor, as if the one ...
- The Story Formula Written By Kelly Swanson My New Baby is Born! Yep. Another baby. Not the flesh and bone kind. The paper and ink kind. I just completed another book. And I’m so excited because this is the book that will help you tell your story. People have been asking me for years to help them with their stories. It was so easy for ...
- Are You Connecting To Your Audience As A Motivational Speaker? Does The Language You Speak Match The Language They Speak? As motivational speakers we are experts on giving advice and sharing our story. But often the story we tell is not the story they need to hear. Just because we share our story, and relay our messages with feeling, doesn’t mean they are connecting to it. Audiences ...
- Using Strategic Storytelling to Sell Your Product Meet Violet, My Hair Extension Queen This is Violet up top. Isn’t she precious? (I’m at that age where I feel led to tell people how precious they are.) I wanted you to meet her. Why? Because I love her. No, we’ve never met. She lives in the UK. I live in the US. We met ...
- An Easy Way For Motivational Speakers To Write A Book You can’t make money until you have a book. A book gives you more credibility as a speaker. You need something you can sell in the back of the room. I have so much material. I have no idea how to condense it into one book. Every time I sit down to write I don’t get anything accomplished. Motivational Speakers ...
- Strategic Storytelling Is Your Greatest Skill Set as an Entrepreneur As a motivational speaker, the more I study storytelling, the more I see its application in every aspect of our business. As speakers, we are entrepreneurs running our own small businesses. We oversee everything from the speech, to the selling and marketing of that speech, to how money is spent and daily processes are run. ...
- Motivational Business Speaker Advice Want To Be a Motivational Business Speaker? There are many speakers out there who are hired by businesses. Adding “motivation” to your title requires more than just typing it in. If you are going to include motivation on your resume, make sure you really are motivating. Here are some ways to know… You actually WANT to motivate ...
- Why Professional Speakers Should Join The National Speakers Association Tapping Into The Power Of Your Peers One of the best things I did for my business as a motivational speaker was to join the National Speakers Association. Here are the reasons why it is smart to associate with people in your industry. You have a group of people who “get it” and can relate to your ...