Negative Self Talk Is The Deadly Killer of Confidence
I am one hundred percent sure that most of what holds us back from our dreams, our goals, and a higher level of peace and productivity, is ourselves. The story we write in our head is so powerful that it dictates our thoughts, behaviors, action steps, and our future. Many of us are still believing stories that were written when we were kids – lies that have become our truth. And we continue to write new ones every day.
So how do we stop?
Three simple words that will get you on your way to killing that negative self talk once and for all:
Stop! Snap! Tic!
Here is how you play:
- Put a rubber band on your wrist, or some other wrist band that can be pulled and will snap back.
- Get a small notepad and a pen and carry it with you at all times. You will want to make tic marks every day. So each day you need a new sheet.
- Whenever you feel a negative thought or self doubt pop into your head, you say STOP. And you stop. Freeze. Be aware of the negative thought you just had.
- Now snap that rubber band around your wrist.
- Now replace that negative thought with a positive one.
- Write a tic mark on your pad.
- Keep up with how many tic marks you got at the end of the day.
- Follow these same steps for as long as you want.
- Watch your tic marks every day.
- You will see them get smaller and smaller.
- Eventually this will become a habit.
It sounds small and simple. But the results are profound. Stop! Snap! Tic!
Latest posts by Kelly Swanson, Do Public Speaking (see all)
- One Easy Way To Get More Professional Speaking Gigs - 09/23/2016