Summer heat and BBQ fare are a perfect way to spend Independence Day in the United States. The sweet corn, piled high salads of potato and pasta and perfectly seared goodies make for a fun and explosive celebration.
Any holiday is an easy way to kill the fitness progress you’ve been making. Turn that around with this intense and quick holiday workout.
Take the explosion into your 4th of July holiday workout
This is a great way to bounce back and recover from any Independence Day over-indulgences. You can do this workout at home or in the gym. No special equipment necessary. Just you and 20 minutes to get your fit on.
There is an emphasis on lower body, since these large muscle groups help kick your heart rate up quick. Jumps add the high intensity kick to a strength building full body movement routine.
Set your interval timer for 45 seconds work, and 15 seconds recovery. If you haven’t discovered how handy these interval timers are for your holiday workout, grab a free one for your phone and enjoy. I’m currently using the IntervalTimer app on my phone.
Go through the list twice for a 20 minute bun burn:
- Stand with knees slightly bent and feet shoulder-width apart on a flat surface. Your arms should be slightly bent at your sides. These feel a lot more comfortable on a padded surface, like grass or a gym mat.
- Bend your knees to get into a squat position and jump vertically as high as you can, reaching out and up, making yourself a star :)
Squats – slow and low
- You know the drill, keep abs tight, knees behind toes and sit as low as possible
- Make squats count with awesome form, and squeeze at the top!
- Just like jumping jacks, but with your arms straight out to the side to start, with feet shoulder width apart.
- The jump brings your feet together, and clap your hands out in front of your chest.
- Stand with your feet hip width apart, and keep weight on your left foot while taking a big step back with your right leg, crossing behing just like a curtsy.
- Bend your knees and lower your body straight down keep your back straight, until your front thigh is parallel to the floor.
- Return to start and switch legs.
Burpees – they work every muscle and can be your friend!
- Feet shoulder width apart, squat down and put your hands on the floor in front of you, just outside your feet.
- Jump both feet back so you are in a push up position. MODIFIED: Walk both feet back, one at a time to get into this position.
- Jump both feet back toward your hands, landing in squat position. MODIFIED: Walk both feet back one at a time to squat position.
- Stand and explosively jump into the air, reaching with your arms straight overhead.
- Start in squat and jump to the left side, landing on your left leg.
- Bring your right leg behind your left ankle without touching the floor. MODIFIED: Touch your toe behind your left ankle for balance.
- Reverse direction, jumping to the right with your right leg and repeat side to side.
- Knees or toes, keep those abs tight throughout and lower your chest to the ground.
- Focus on good push up form and get as many reps as you can!
- Stand with feet hip-width apart and slowly extend your right leg to the side, keeping inner thigh parallel to floor.
- Hold for 3 seconds and lower to floor, repeat on the other side.
180 Degree Jump Squats
- Squat position, bend knees and jump explosively straight up, spinning 180 degrees mid-air
- Gentle landing and soft knees back to a squat and repeat.
- Go wide with this squat stance, wider than your shoulders.
- Point toes slightly out, at 10 and 2 o’clock just like drivers ed taught us.
- Squat low and hold for 2 seconds, then straighten and repeat.
Enjoy and celebrate, even when recovering from 4th of July BBQ fun
Let me know if you get this 4th of July holiday workout done this week, and tell me what you think!
Go get your fit on.
Give us your thoughts!
If you aren't sure how to comment on this story, click here.