I am sitting in front of my computer surrounded by the sounds of gunfire.
My house has been invaded by teenage boys. It isÂ my son’s sixteenth birthday party.Â Three pizzas later followed by ice cream sundaes they are spread out immersed in a video game and I am sitting here thinking about Oprah.
“Why Oprah?” you may ask.
Because she gives me hope.
Her success is inspiring.Â She defies stereotypes and her shows are not full of feuding dysfunction.
OprahÂ is anÂ intelligent, compassionate, confident woman.
Which brings me to that elusive word “confidence”.Â Â How does one find that belief that they will succeed?
Through this process of wanting to become a successful artist, I have learned much.Â I have learned that many limitsÂ put before me are created by me.
Examples of these include procrastination and not taking the leap when opportunities knock.
I have also learned not to give up because that guaranties failure.
Then there is still that word “confidence”.
This is definitely an area that needs work.
While scouring the Internet for answers I found a list on how to build confidence that I liked.Â Wikihow says
- Recognize your insecurities.
- Don’t view yourself as inferior to others.
- Talk about it with friends and loved ones.
- Remember that no one is perfect.
- Identify your successes.
- Be thankful for what you have.
- Be Positive
- Accept compliments gracefully.
- Look in the mirror and smile
I have some work to do.Â I also found a great page of Oprah’s quotes. Below is one of my favorites.
- “I’ve come to believe that each of us has a personal calling that’s as unique as a fingerprint – and that the best way to succeed is to discover what you love and then find a way to offer it to others in the form of service, working hard, and also allowing the energy of the universe to lead you.” – Oprah Winfrey, O Magazine, September 2002
(Wendy’s dream is still to become a influential international artist, but she left 8 Women Dream in March of 2010 to complete grad school.Â She is still a strong supporter of 8 Women Dream and you will see her in the comments on the blog.)