Being asked by the event planner of Fabulosity Events to speak was a great honor. She had seen me speak at an event in December of 2012 and wanted me to share my advice with women at a very stunning private event held at a guest house in the lovely suburb of Panorama in Cape Town. This was the last talk before my move to Pretoria.
The women’s event was called : Mothers are more precious than diamonds and pearls.
A few weeks before the talk, the word value kept creeping in my mind and as someone who didn’t value myself in the past, I thought I’d be honest about my own battle with post natal depression and how I allowed people to bully me so much that I landed up in hospital.
It would be the first time I’d ever talk about my experience, but I knew that being honest was the way to go.
My talk was based on why women should value themselves and the more I spoke to those ladies, the more I realized how I as a women myself did not appreciate myself for being me. Epiphany in the middle of a talk? You can’t get a message more clear than that. This journey of speaking engagements is starting to creep into my heart and soul and I am in love with the women I am becoming as I empower other women out there.
It’s true that going for your dream is so self satisfying, because when you do so, you are pursuing to value yourself and you are giving yourself a chance to become who you are meant to be.
That in my opinion, is the work of the brave. dreamers, you aren’t only valuable, you are brave too. It’s time you all start believing it and it’s time that you start appreciating ever hurdle coming your way because it’s in your life to make you stronger and adds to your value.
My talk went well and at the end of speaking to women and explaining to them why they are precious, I received a warm applause and so many thank you’s.
But what stood out for me was one lady who came to me afterwards and explained how her abusive husband was always treating her bad and how she never had the voice and courage to stand up to him and demand the respect she deserved.
After my talk, and making her realize that she is a valuable asset to her family, she will no longer adhere to his abuse. Just listening to her had the hair behind my neck, stand up. I got shivers when she took my hand and said “Thank you for making me see I am valuable”.
Here are my 8 tips on why you should pursue to value yourself more:
- You were born to be a valuable asset in the lives of your family and the people you love. Start believing that.
- You are beautiful, just the way you are. You were created by a master, accept that you are a masterpiece.
- Not all things are worth fighting for. Things that hurt you aren’t. Move away from things that hurt your heart
- You might not see your value. But to someone you are priceless. Stop with the NEGATIVE SELF TALK. TODAY
- Ashamed of your past mistakes?, well welcome to reality. No one is perfect, neither are you. Move on and embrace it
- Stop wasting time on people who dont deserve your attention and start spending that time on you. When was the last time you treated yourself to that massage?
- Do not be afraid of change in your life. You were given that lesson because you are strong enough to overcome it. Embrace that “This too shall pass”
- You are enough. You are enough and You ARE enough. Wipe your tears and smile at a better future. The past is in the past.
I shall leave you with this piece I read , I find it extremely powerful, and I want to share it with you:
There is just something about a woman who understands her worth.
A woman who can embrace herself although the world tells her differently.
A woman who knows her strength is not only outer beauty, not appearance alone, but inner as well.
A woman who plays with her mind rather than focusing on body, solely.
There is something about confident woman that can stop any man in his tracks.
My wish for you today is that you will start to pursue that daily habit of valuing who you are and what you mean to others. You are more precious than diamonds and pearls, and you dont need me to remind you, you just need to believe it in your hearts of hearts.
You deserve to be loved, to be respected and you bring value to the lives of others. Believe it today!
Latest posts by Sue Faith Levy, Empowering Young Women Around the World (see all)
Top 8 Reasons to Pursue to Value Yourself Today by The 8 Women Dream Project, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.