This week I have been thinking about the process of change and how much we fear it.
I want to point out that fear, depression, anger, elation, excitement and joy are all pieces of the change puzzle and as we shift away from our old ways of doing things to make room for our dreams we will each at some point cycle through these strong emotions.
He calls these the 5 stages of “change readiness,” and the following video has some great insights into the 5 Stages of Change -
The 5 Stages of Change -
- Pre-contemplation — Where you aren’t interested in changing, but we are bothered by something.
- Contemplation — Where you explore the possible benefits of changing.
- Preparation — Where you gather tools and support.
- Action — Where you take the steps necessary to change your life.
- Maintenance — Where you are able to maintain the change.
Michael Fullan, a Professor Emeritus of the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education of the University of Toronto, who is recognized as a worldwide authority on educational reform and change lists 8 “basic lessons” that can be learned about the process of change and improvement:
- Lesson 1: You Can’t Mandate What Matters (The more complex the change, the less you can force it.).
- Lesson 2: Change is a Journey, not a Blueprint (Change is non-linear, loaded with uncertainty and excitement and sometimes perverse.).
- Lesson 3: Problems are Our Friends (Problems are inevitable and you can’t learn without them.).
- Lesson 4: Vision and Strategic Planning Come Later (Premature visions and planning blind).
- Lesson 5: Individualism and Collectivism Must Have Equal Power ( There are no one-sided, one-way solutions).
- Lesson 6: Neither Centralization Nor Decentralization Works (The need for flexibility).
- Lesson 7: Connection with the Wider Environment is Critical for Success (Can anyone say the buddy system?).
- Lesson 8: Every Person is a Change Agent (Change is up to the person).
What stage are you at in your dreams? Are you ready to make the necessary changes?
Latest posts by Catherine Hughes, Top Blog Dreams (Posts)
- Follow Your Passion: Double Your Bliss - 05/12/2013
- Why Half Assing It Means You Picked The Wrong Dream - 04/28/2013
- Top Blog Dream: Selling Your Blog for Millions - 04/14/2013
- The Secret Behind the Most Popular Online Content - 04/07/2013
- 50 Great Quotes by Top Bloggers on How To be Successful Online - 03/31/2013
The The 5 Stages of Change and the Change Process by 8 Women Dream, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.