“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
Mary Oliver once famously said. The words still haunt me.
More eloquently spoken than myself, Mary Oliver’s answer to her own question is:
“When it’s over, I want to say: all my life
I was a bride married to amazement.
I was the bridegroom, taking the world into my arms.
When it is over, I don’t want to wonder
if I have made of my life something particular, and real.
I don’t want to find myself sighing and frightened,
or full of argument.
I don’t want to end up simply having visited this world.”
Powerful stuff. I want to be married to amazement and wrapped up in the wonders of the world. I keep quotes like these pinned into my corkboards at work and written into the spines of my notebooks. They constantly remind me to keep my travel dream alive.
What will you have to say when it’s all over? If you want to travel, like me, then right now we have the power to control what we make of this one, precious life. So, let’s go!
We all need the best travel quotes to keep us moving. So here they are. My definitive collection –
Top 8 Best Travel Quotes of All Time-
1. Travel changes you. As you move through this life and this world you change things slightly, you leave marks behind, however small. And in return, life – and travel – leaves marks on you. Most of the time, those marks – on your body or on your heart – are beautiful. Often, though, they hurt. ~Anthony Bourdain
2. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. ~Helen Keller
3. All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be. ~Pink Floyd
Wining, dining and camping at Land’s End in Homer, Alaska -
4. Life shouldn’t be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, “WOO-HOO, what a ride!’ ~Mavis Leyrer age 83 – her on version of a Hunter S. Thompson quote
5. Man spends his entire life trying to make a living all the while forgetting to live. Mark Twain
6. You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You are on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who’ll decide where to go. … Will you succeed? Yes, you will indeed! (98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.) Kid, you’ll move mountains. ~Dr. Seuss
Me in New Zealand -
7. The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page. ~St. Augustine
My kind of town: Chicago’s Gold Coast
8. Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ~Mark Twain
After reading the best travel quotes of all time, what are you travel plans for your one, wild and precious life?
“What will your travel story be?” ~Katie Eigel
Top 8 Quotes About Travel from a Travel Junkie by The 8 Women Dream Project, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.