I love the saying “go big or go home” but I am in that quandary now. This opportunity has been in the works for a while now, and although the official work has yet to start, the big new is that I have been invited to be a speaker.
At an international conference in Las Vegas.
For a crowd of approximately 300.
Just a few short years ago, at my weekly business networking group, I would have heart palpitations when my time to speak came around. Keep in mind, this “speaking” would be approximately 45 seconds long.
Regardless, this is how my preparation went–
- write idea down the night before
- practice in the car on the way
- take a sip of water when I there were 2 people to go before my turn
- take LOTS of deep breaths
- stand up and try not to shake so my voice wouldn’t warble
Fast forward to just a year back, and I was President of the group, running the meetings on a weekly basis. Did my nerves get any better? A Little bit.
The preparation shifted to a bit more notes, and less shaking, but I was still freaking out a tiny bit every time I stood at the head of the table. Ask anyone in that group and they all tell me the same thing – they had no idea I was so nervous. They say it didn’t show. They may be too kind to tell me otherwise.
How the hell did I get myself into this? Be careful what you wish for.
In my many books, internet gurus, webinars and business growth research there is a thread that I picked up on in order to achieve the multiple streams of income I so desire.
Become an industry expert.
I can not take full credit for getting to this point, as most people would attest. I am so prevalent in Social Media because of the time and energy Cath puts into helping us build this business and making me look like a rock star. My favorite feedback that I’ve received at least once a week lately is “You are everywhere!”
Cool feeling. Now time to deliver.
Do I know what I’m talking about yet? Nope.
Getting my mind around that crowd, who they are and what can I give them that will be the most useful and applicable is in the works. All I have to do now is purge the standing-on-stage-naked nightmare and all will be well.
Are you heading for a speaking event? It doesn’t matter if its 10 or 1,000, here’s my initial plan to get prepared for the spotlight:
- Find some great books on public speaking. I’m lucky to be surrounded by like minded people and have already raided their libraries. I’ll be offering reviews of the ones I find most useful in the coming months.
- I’ll be running to Toastmasters (and dragging 8 Women Dreamer, Catherine with me). There are too many successful professional speakers that have succeeded due to the support and guidance that Toastmasters offers.
- I have some incredible professional presentation advisers that generously offered their help in grooming me for the presentation.
Have you had a similar experience – speaking to a big crowd that required big preparations? How did you prepare? Do you have books to recommend? Did you find an expert or coach that helped you rock your presentation?
I look forward to telling you how this progresses and to hear your stories – good and bad!
Find your dream audience this week –
If you aren't sure how to comment on this story, click here.